Character Concept Artist
Sample Job Description
As a Character Concept Artist at Riot you will bring characters and creatures to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As a problem solver, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for game concepts.
Project A is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter. As a Senior Concept Artist on the team, you are responsible for creating and improving characters for Project A. You will keep the players experience in mind as you work across disciplines to help build foundational ideas and concepts. You will also work collaboratively with designers, writers, and producers to bring new characters to life.
- Build, sketch, ideate, and iterate new character concepts in collaboration with other developers
- Craft detailed concept art and orthographics for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
- Creatively solve problems and figure out efficient solutions on executing the look and feel of the character
- Collaborate closely with other disciplines to build characters that are both narrative and visually cohesive
- Take your skillful knowledge of story tropes, archetypes, and narrative devices of all kinds to help improve the designs that go into our worlds
- Bring your deep understanding of human and animal anatomy and know how to stretch the limits while still maintaining a consistent art direction
- Guide and mentor other teammates
- 5+ years of experience in the video game industry as a Character Concept Artist
- Professional experience working with Photoshop or other relevant painting/design tools
- Shipped a AAA title as a Concept Artist
- Experience working as a Concept Artist on an FPS title
- 3D Character Artist